Saturday 22 October 2011

ahab Gig Review:

The first time I was properly made aware of ahab was at Fairport’s Cropredy festival 2 years ago. I heard them at the Brasenose Arms as part of the illustrious fringe festival at Cropredy, and then I saw their main stage performance, which similarly proved them to be very tight, organic Americana, Roots musicians.

A few years down the line and my love for folk/roots music has intensified due to the mainstream explosion of bands like Noah and the Whale and Mumford & Sons. From attending Fairport since a young age, that music genre is engrained in me personally, and what is fantastic to see is a new-wave of roots music becoming more accessible and relevant to those who would otherwise be stuck being fed mostly computer-mixed, fake Top-40 hits by today’s Radio. The chart exposure for these kinds of bands has made ridiculously talented up-and-coming bands like ahab easy to embrace and love.

Last night ahab played in Manchester, my new playground after having moved here from Banbury in September. I’ll start by quoting roughly what my mate Anthony told me at the end of the gig: “I love how you’re changing my music taste and introducing me to genres I haven’t even considered before”. Genuine words from the mouth of a trance-loving dance show manager at Chorley FM.

The renowned Band on the Wall venue in the Northern Quarter was the perfect setting for a gig that brought Fairport nostalgia flooding back to me. ahab played a collection of foot-tapping, sing-a-long, clap-a-long Americana from their various EPs to an extremely receptive crowd. Considering the band were enjoying their first gig in town, the northern crowd was abundant, warm, welcoming and full of folk-inspired dance moves – the kind I have yet to see on a Saturday night in The Printworks, and probably never will.

They interacted with the crowd on a very friendly level – haven’t seen that for a long time, a band really embracing their audience. I also think it resonates well with the audience when the band are moving and dancing along to their music, especially with songs like Lucy and their encore of Wagonwheel, the crowd were very responsive and energetic.

Even with one or two ‘nuances’ in performance, I’d still call the band tight and well rehearsed in their delivery. Technically, they execute their songs with a precision that rivals the movers and shakers of the mainstream world and do so with warmth and excitement.

They next play in Manchester on 15th Nov as support for one of the UKs more treasured live bands, Bellowhead. Hold on to your straw hats Manchester, you’re in for a treat!


http://ahabofficial.com/
http://twitter.com/ahabofficial
http://bandonthewall.org/

If you didn't hear ahab featured on my Cropredy 2011 Relived documentary for Banbury Sound, listen again here