Wednesday 2 May 2012

Habit's the only place that you call home

I quite like starting new blog posts with lyrics or song titles, so feel free to click the title today and enjoy the sound of Caitlin Rose, who I had on in the car last night. She's pretty good, her music contains elements of John Mayer, KT Tunstall, lots of folk/country components as well.

I've just got back to the flat, it's 10:51 on Wednesday morning. It doesn't feel like a Wednesday, the day is idling with Friday sunshine, the weekend ahead. I'm getting flashbacks to sunny Friday afternoons at Sixth Form, not particularly bothered about how quickly or slowly 3pm would arrive, just enjoying the ride. Especially towards the end of my school days. I wasn't in a rush for anything, just relishing the moments.


Bulgaria lad's nicknames! Wogan is me.
I remember this time last year I was eager for University to arrive. By now I think I will have heard that I was in at Salford, so the promises and unknowns that went alongside the forthcoming 3 years were exciting and seemed so much more captivating than the day-to-day rigmarole that we'd grown used to.


In all honesty I'm still in that frame of mind, where if anything I'd love time to slow down! I'm in no rush. On 11th May, all of our assignments will be completed and as the clock strikes 4:01pm, deadlines will have passed and my first year at university will be ticked off. Year 1 has flown by, it looks blurry.. freshers week doesn't seem so long ago, all the angst, worry and apprehension at what was ahead, coupled with the most exhilarating few nights out of my life... and it seems only yesterday that bright, warm Friday afternoons razzing down the single-track in convoy with my mates were the norm.

Of course, I miss that simple life. Now though, I'm geographically positioned perfectly. Every day Manchester reassures me that it is the place to be. Imagine that when I came up here last September my tangled ball of University wool only had two real threads... going out to get smashingtons, and uni work. A few months later, I've somehow woven a cat's cradle of excitement into my world up here... student radio parties, 'The Source', Key 103, shooting a doc for Liam Blake.. the Radio Festival in Salford...gig after gig after gig, session, night out, gig, interview, gig, night out, uni assignment, Christmas in Manchester, Christmas at home, SRA Con......it's crazy, and all with new people. I've learnt so much in a short space of time...yet I'm in the same mind frame as a year ago, taking each week as it comes, letting the future wash over me in real-time rather than fret about how things will play out in 5 years needlessly.

"Don't worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum" - Baz Lurhmann - Everybody's Free

"It isn't where you finish, it's the way you run this race, and I intend to go the distance, but I'll do it at my own pace" - Ben Marwood - Toil