Monday 10 October 2011

I hope you have Spotify

If you're not a spotify user, then sort it out. Go along and download it - start sharing the music you listen to, because that is exactly what I'm going to do with you now. Roll over the song titles in this blog to open each song in Spotify, then hit the 'previous page'/'back' button to return to this blog.

You know I love very organic, roots, acoustic and indie music. I particularly love it when the music is a guilty pleasure or if it is refreshingly unknown. When I'm not DJing, I strive to listen to as little mainstream music as possible.

That's why I laughed the other day when I saw an acquaintance of mine had posted on Facebook that everybody who loves Ben Howard 'has got to check out this amazing new guy, James Vincent McMorrow'.

For you, if you haven't heard of James... James Vincent McMorrow – Follow You Down to the Red Oak Tree. Raw, organic and pure.

Keeping up with my more current discoveries. In fact, so current, I discovered this today and it's absolutely beautiful. I introduced a friend to Ludovico Einaudi not long ago, I reckon this music is on par, if not better than the Nightbook album. Ólafur Arnalds – Tunglið. Beautiful. That's the only word you need to describe this.

Before it goes mainstream, hear it here first. She's recently recorded a version of Wherever You Will Go. Here is Charlene Soraia – Bike. She's got a pretty nice voice, but I think it's the guitar the wins here.

Featured on my Fairport documentary this is The Travelling Band – Battlescars - and as they're based in Manchester, hoping to hear a lot more from these guys! They are playing at Odd Bar in the Northern Quarter next wknd I think. Can't wait for that. Really talented guys, and just my kind of up-coming roots music.

A friend introduced me to this chap, I can't put my finger on it, but I listened to his album and I enjoyed it. Ben Marwood – Tell Avril Lavigne I Never Wanted To Be Her Stupid Boyfriend Anyway. It won't set the world alight or leave you wanting more...  but it's good. it's good, that's all.

I'm a real fan of this as well... very psychedelic and ultimately gorgeous music Spiritualized;J. Spaceman;Sean Cook;Kate Radley;Roddy Lorimer;B.J. Cole;The London Community Gospel Choir;John Coxon – Broken Heart. Just let it wash over you.

I incorporated this band into a fictional story the other day.... we won't go into it. All you need to know is this:  Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros – I Come In Please. The rest of the album is fantastic. Another pure roots experience.

Just so keen to get out an explore what Manchester has to offer now! This list of venues to visit keeps growing!