Friday 7 October 2011

Salford [Behind The Scenes]

Manchester is an incredible place to be. A great media location, a fabulous music scene and there's always something happening. It's also cheap, I can have a good night out (as I did last night) for £9, which is alright, and it can be even better!

Sad as it sounds, I'm marking on my Salford Student Map where I've been as and when I go there. So far we've ticked of places like The Courtyard, The Printworks, Barcode, Baa Bar, HMV Ritz, 5th Avenue, Odder Bar etc... lots of cool place, lots of clubs so far and I'm hoping to get along to some nice bars soon.

This week's been really hectic, as I knew it would be. It started with a nice night out at Odder bar on Oxford Rd. A quiznight - my favourite. The rounds were fun, the vibe was very cool and the whole evening went well. We came 5th and won a turban.

Tuesday was a pretty exciting day because I had my spine checkup. One really good thing about Manchester is the MEN. I love it- what a great local paper. They were advertising a free spine checkup because, after all, 'we check our teeth regularly, why not our back?!'. The spine doctor told me I had to dramatically increase my flexibility and core strength otherwise I'm going to have serious trouble in a few years...

Also on Tuesday I'd scheduled in a haircut in Deansgate. I arrived, chatted, enquired of the price of the cut and left in shock. No haircut ever took place.

I attended a Social Media Storytelling workshop at Cornerhouse on Wednesday evening with a few pals from Uni. The session was led by Katie Moffet - very interesting indeed, and it introduced me to the power of infographics and also Storify, a story-telling/blogging tool that integrates all your social media - certainly something I'll be using in future!

After that we went to Acoustic Night at Hard Rock Cafe, that was fantastic, finally some live music. However, no scratch on Banbury's finest yet. I am working hard to find a decent bar that can beat Banbury's live acoustic music scene. It's week 3 so naturally I'm still hunting......


A man and a guitar, yes!

Last night was spent watching darts at the pub then playing some pool whilst enjoying a good pint.

All in all, there's always something to do, and I love that. Here's life in Manchester from the last week or 2 in photographs:

Fire at halls! Or not, as it turned out. Just drunken antics resulting in a lot of angry students at 3am.

Seb capturing some scenic shots for our documentary

Deadly boring afternoon in the library


My day out in Sheffield to see Sophie




Beautiful day for a good book at MediaCity


3am pizza!


A shot from the train - Manchester City Centre


By night.... The Printworks in Manchester City Centre, ready for a party!

What they don't show on the virals....

What they do show on the virals!...