Monday 7 November 2011

Production values

 There's been an awful lot of activity on this blog recently, hope you've been enjoying the posts, videos, audio etc. Be lots more on the way soon as projects get finished.

I've been crafting the production schedule for the new project I've got on. Working with Seb Padget and Anthony Alker on this one. Seb's AP and Anthony's helping with the editing. It's an interview based project with Liam Blake - means a busy week prepping, storyboarding, shot-listing and travelling!

This is the main focus of the video - a fantastic new animated music video. Through my project we'll try and convey how various pieces of artwork have influenced the music- notice this video looks very similar in animation style to The Snowman.... ahhhhhhhh yes all will be unveiled soon.......and we'll chat about Christmas a bit later...



Perfect way to describe it is how Rolling Stone have summed it up:

"Blake (Incidentally, a Briton) sounds like Gary Barlow with a cowboy hat"


The project is really exciting and opens up lots of doors. I can't wait for the travelling, a 3hr30min trip to Bath means I get to drive my car again! My plan is.. I'll drive to this Bon Iver gig on Wednesday, then drive on up to Manchester, meaning I can make a full journey down with Seb in my car with some proper mix-tapes and podcasts on! It's been so long since I've made a playlist for a journey!

Bon Iver. Yes, finally seeing the genius this week. Can't wait for this:



Talking of mix tapes and playlists.... the latest playlist I've made is called Northern Life - Manchester and it contains all the amazing songs I have attributed to this new Northern life! Check it out, you'll feel northern. Want a brew?

I've not planned a project so thoroughly for a while. Tight production values! Hope it all pays off, should be a fantastic journey!

Life's not just about work though, aside from this project and the exciting radio shows I've got coming up and uni work etc, there's been lots else happening here.

Went to see a band called The Rifles on Tuesday night.. my first gig at Manchester Academy3 - you know what.........the sound was pretty poor. I like the album tracks but live- very distorted and too loud. At dinnertime the following day I'd just got my hearing back.
The following night I went to see Charlie Simpson at Academy2 - a much better venue with amazing sound. And the sound was truly incredible - Charlie was an outstanding act, one that really shocked me really.


I knew he was good but seriously, the instrumental on the end of Riverbanks was so chilling and passionate I got goosepimplebumps. Watch this video all the way through, absolutely incredible, I promise. Mad stuff. Also really enjoyed the support acts- particularly Gabrille Aplin.




I also had a gig booked for The Travelling Band, who I saw at Fairport, but I got my dates wrong and it clashed with Charlie so Anthony went along to that one. He said it was pretty good. 
Then this weekend has been relatively quiet, spent Saturday night at Heaton Park for the Fireworks and the fun-fair - lovely photograph of one of the rides above. Was adequate... rarely see good fireworks. Nothing quite beats new years fireworks. 

Came home from the fireworks to enjoy one of the most satisfying things on the telly. Match Of The Day, in the flat, coming live from Salford studios. 10minutes down the road. How inspiring. I see Chelsea are still struggling though... 3 points sure, but by no means safe as houses yet. 


Highlights of the last week or so:
  • Malteser Trail Mix
  • A new purchase from the Apple store...
  • My Pingu DVD arriving
  • My Gingerbread latte at Costa
  • Singing Merry Christmas Everyone on our wander through campus. That was inappropriate, given it's November 7th.
I'm so excited for Christmas. I am buying a tree in the next week or two, and seeing as I'm not at home, there'll be no beads this year Mother, tinsel all the way. I'm also buying some Turkish Delight and some more festive knit-wear.