Monday 9 January 2012

"Going back to where I come from, going rolling back home again...over the hill"..

Starting tonight's blog post with the legendary words of John Martyn some lyrics to Over The Hill.



For some reason, perhaps its the recent intake of real ales and the associated reminiscences of Oxfordshire's summer beer festivals and Fairport, James Vincent McMorrow's latest song (cover of) Higher Love entering the charts and maybe a dash of excitement ahead of this year's music festivals - combined they've resulted in copious Spotify plays for Steve Winwood, John Martyn, Seth Lakeman, McMorrow himself, Kathleen Edwards etc - all exceptionally folky. Taking it back to my roots for sure...

If I'm being honest with you I put it all down to the Hooky I've been drinking but that's just a hunch.



Have been back up in Salford for a week now - and I've had a lot of fun in that week. Highlights include:

  • Watching Lord of the Dance 
  • Acquiring some pasta sauce from Tesco for under 20p
  • Cooking the nicest curry of my life - marinade your chicken in harissa paste and honey before committing the sauce. Taste sensation.
  • Landing an incredibly exciting new workplace to spend my days in (details to follow....)
  • The price of beer in Factory on a night out
  • Darijo Srna proving such a fabulous transfer on my current Football Manager game
  • Impressing my mates with some truly wonderful garden shed tool dance moves
  • Revising my limited knowledge of quadratic equations

Tomorrow (or today, Monday) it's back to Uni, back to lectures and thankfully back to some routine! My body clock has well and truly broken, alas, I am writing this blog post at 1:40am after just having watched two back to back episodes of the new Sherlock series on BBC1 - a word of utter praise for Moffat & Gatiss who've written some outstanding programmes there.

Going back to uni is going to mean I'll be waking up in the segment of the day called the morning, currently in my messed up mental clockwork that's a foreign entity, with breakfast usually arriving at around 2pm. That's got to change, it's playing games with my inner fabric. I need my routine back and I need breakfast radio back in my life - recently I've been waking up to Darren Proctor on Key 103 daytimes, unacceptable, despite how good the show is.

Ah - incredibly exciting news there actually. Very soon I'm going to be starting to work on Key 103 drive time doing some production bits. How incredibly exciting, I've been listening to them for months having moved up here to Manchester last year, now I get to spend my days in their studios. What a pleasure and a treat. Cannot wait to begin!