Friday 30 March 2012

Games People Play

For a few weeks now things have been so busy dashing around for work at Key, squeeeeeezing in uni work, recording some demo radio shows and excitingly, purchasing a new car. The new vehicle is spacious, sleek, modern and has excessive boot space. Say hola to the Seat Leon. A magnificent beast that dwarfs my old Vauxhall Corsa. Took her for a countryside drive when I went home last weekend, the summer country sun brings out my melancholy side like a bitter ale and a bowl of chips.
Having said that, my friend the other day confessed to me on a night-drive to Sainsburys: "at least it's dark, nobody's going to see me in it". Rude.


If I'm being honest, I can't decide what gender the car is yet. If you've been reading intently to the first few lines of this blog you'll notice I've referred to the generic car as a 'her', which is in built habit from my Corsa days, she was definitely a girl. On the flip side though, this Leon is a bit more of a bloke than my dextrous old Vauxhall.

My rationale for a fresher student buying a new car is that for my DJing, I have to toil away with the ridiculously big rigging trying to fit it in the Corsa's boot, it makes logistics a nightmare, whereas in the new Leon, it's very very simple.

The culmination of various other things consuming my time and the aforementioned radio and vehicular fun means that my new music radar is become somewhat detached. This is incredibly sad, my new music is one of my biggest passions, it's almost a hobby. So for it to be so neglected is poor. Fortunately I have designed this weekend with time in mind, and I'm hoping to get the high-quality cans on the go for a blast of a few new musicians filtering through my musical framework:

  • Tall Ships
  • Michael Kiwanuka's new album- heard some full, band based stuff from him the other day and it really stoked the fire I have for this guy, so I do need to give the album more of a listen.
  • Sound of Guns -interviewed these fellas recently for The Source, top people.
  • Volcano Choir
  • Johnny Flynn
  • Morning Parade
  • The Shins
  • Laura Veirs
  • Lissie's new material... her sound is sentimental for me, the new track of hers Games People Play (title of this blog) is outstanding, especially in the sunshine at the moment. Have you heard her Fleetwood Mac cover yet?


Whether those guys are completely fresh and new, or just new to me, either way - I have some listening to do. Hardly a chore. The full playlist of music I have to catch up with is over 900 songs strong, but that goes back a long way and most of it I have listened to, but I don't know it yet, I like to be totally familiar with the songs so I can call on them again.

Having said that, there's loads of new promos filtering through my email inbox which means The Source on Shock Radio podcast will continue to flourish, we've just released a new edition actually. This time round features the Sound of Guns, Nijinxky & Frances Mitson, Katzenjammer and Bogdana Chivas. Lots of talent there.

Indeed, I keep chatting to the people making the new music and they're in for sessions at our studios nice and regularly. 
This keeps the ball rolling for another thought process in my life box. Happily, it's one of the most enjoyable things I do in my little world here, interviewing. That's why I've created a full demo of best bits from my interviews to try and promote what I consider to be one of my biggest strengths along side presenting... so this I think is a good way to hone in on the new music feature side of radio that I am striving for so relentlessly!