Sunday 4 March 2012

Hospital Remedy

I'm not on a hospital bed, I'm actually (and if you click the title of this blog, you can join me) listening to the latest Hospital Records podcast. Some raw drum&bass making a change from the M83, Elbow and Gotye that has been occupying my headphones over the last couple of days. I've currently got the hots for some drum&bass, it's one of the purest forms of high-intensity dance music. I find the majority of the current dubstep repertoire way too computer generated. The same goes for house and club music and indeed a large portion of the Top 40, I'm not slating it, it sounds good enough and it's immensely popular, but the lack of real instruments leaves a gaping hole that some really good drum&bass can fulfil.
That's why I like bands like Chase & Status and Pendulum, some real musicianship to accompany the intensity of the sound.

I'm also becoming more and more of a stickler for the sound of music. I'm doing a documentary with a lecturer in audio tech and acoustics on Tuesday this week and the subject matter is driving me further and further into the realm of high-quality sounds. This sounds snobbish, but the days of mp3 are over for me. 128kbps is devil's lair and 320kbps is the minimum grade I can manage these day. Such an audio slag.

I do hope CDs continue to live on strong, providing a lossless format for listening to music where with a good pair of headphones, the true sound can be appreciated. I was in HMV yesterday at the Trafford Centre, Connor and I both at the headphone testing stations giving some fat ass Denons a little tester. Coldplay's new album is a brilliant one for testing some headphones out. Especially Every Tear!

Alright, geek out.



I have been loving my time at Key 103 recently. Things are consistently busy with lots of things to occupy my self with around the office. I also enjoy finding things to do on a slow day, there's plenty to get along with, and this week I've been working hard on a Bear Grylls interview - really pleased with the outcome! http://www.key103.co.uk/oj-borg-bear-grylls/


In terms of live music, there's been a lot of it in my world recently. The other week I took my girlfriend along to see Benjamin Frances Leftwich (The Source podcast - with Ben on) - which was an amazing gig. The second time I've seen Benjamin live now, the first was almost a year ago to the day at The Borderline in London with some close friends. It's almost marks a year of life for this blog as well... this is the link to the blog I did after last year's Leftwich gig... 'Rest is underrated like 2nd gear'

It's really weird to revisit the words I wrote a year ago... strange nostalgia. It was a different lifestyle!

Ben was cracking this time round. A year ago he stood on stage with nothing but a guitar and a mic, and even at times he stepped away from the mic to perform unplugged. The unplugged component was still present a year down the line in Manchester, a real humbling element of the show. The songs sounded a lot fuller with the band presence too. A sweet gig, where the support from Ren Harvieu was incredible! She really did blow me away, I wasn't expecting to see her yet she's been on my radar as somebody to watch out for since November time... A tantalising performance from her, she has such a dominating presence on stage and delivers her vocals with a pure emotive intensity. Vocals to dust off anybody's cobwebs. Her Roy Orbison cover gave me goosebumps, live it has 100x the power



Very impressive, watch out for her.