Monday 1 April 2013

Country Life


Back in the Shire for a week at home. It's not often I ever take any prolonged time off. For once I have decided to turn off my work phone, set an out-of-office and break for a little bit of a breather before assignments kick in and before work resumes.

There are many things on the list for the week ahead, but it's not a normal list of tasks (and too many for a 12hr day at that!). My current list is more along the lines of: 
  • Visit Granny
  • Make a collage of past gig tickets as new wall-art for my room
  • Pub
  • Coffee catchups with mates
  • Watch Nile Rogers documentary
I never watch TV at Uni, or if I do, it's re-runs of Top Gear, so to watch the Nile programme is pretty bloody incredible. 

So far I have already ticked a few things off! - was a nice time visiting Granny: eating her brownies and succumbing to her preaching what an amazing comedian Victoria Wood is.

Went to the pub last night to see Cole Stacey perform - had never heard of him but aunt, uncle and cousins in Cropredy said he was good.



My mate and I went over for an ale and a catchup. Cropredy's a brilliant place - not just the visually pleasing drive I took for granted for so many years, but the village vibe is always fabulous. Not just on Fairport weekend. Most are now away of this festival for all my banging on about it: 20,000 people descending on this sleepy canal-side village in the middle of Oxfordshire, which turns into a folk-music mecca for 3 days in August. I made a big documentary for Banbury Sound last year, about the festival, Fairport Convention's history and the village vibes - I've recently condensed it down into a wee 15min chunk if you fancy a listen:


Earlier in the day, I'd enjoyed another ale with pals Nik & Gemma, who congrats to them are on the verge of marriage. Nice to have a catchup, they're off on a 5000+ mile road-trip across the USA for their honeymoon!!- needless to say, they're taking a mechanic with them.

Girlfriend said she HATED the composition of this photo. Thanks.

And one last thing about being back home in the countryside - not only am I seeing my family, catching up on LOTS AND LOTS, but we have had a lot of sheep move into the field behind our house where I used to play football every day when I was a youngling! It's quite nice seeing them toddle about in the day, quite pleasant.