Thursday 15 September 2011

Bon Iver & James Blake

Finally listened to James Blake & Bon Iver's new track. Big fan of
both artists. As you know I love Bon Iver- just earlier this evening
I've bought his latest album because, as good as Spotify is, some
music you just need to own!

Well, as I'm sat here at 1am in the kitchen I played this new song on
my phone. Thoughts: Together, these two artists shoe-horning their own
very different stamps on the song..I thought it was a try-too-hard
mess.

However, I think it takes a shallow critic to listen to a piece of
music and take an instant dislike. I've since got a great pair of Sony
headphones and listened to the song properly.

Deviating slightly to James Blake- when I first heard the Wilhelm
Scream I had these cans on, and the left/right mixing, the ambience
his music creates....it was almost hypnotic. Incredible piece of
music.

When you listen to this new track with the depth and subtility of
these headphones- you can appreciate the channel mixing and hear every
sound in the song. It sounds totally different.

Even at the start of the track I was dubious...without many sounds
layered up there were some pretty amateur sounds coming across. But,
with the am-dram bongs and howls masked by some true Blake dub craft,
the song ties in beautifully with Vernon's passionate vocals.

In fact, it sounds far from messy- it sounds structured and incredibly
soporific.

Just to be sure, I've listened 3 times more on the Sony's. It's not to
be taken at face value this song.

Listen here... http://open.spotify.com/track/2BMx3N1HFThlRbiScVcDez